The banner photo

The background photo was taken by Larry E. Meredith in Phoenix, Arizona 1982

Quote

The artist uses the talent he has, wishing he had more talent. The talent uses the artist it has, wishing it had more artist. ~Robert Brault

Friday, February 22, 2008

Old Art Passing Away

We have come to the end of Hector's Hectic Life. Sad to say we are coming down to the last series in the Who's Who at the Psycho Zoo and the last sketches in Tatters. I drew a lot in my youth, almost as much and as often as I wrote. Much of my art is lost. Hopefully I'll stumble across some more of it somewhere.



What I have been posting here in the Garden of Art were three collections I had made long ago. You have to realize life began to get in the way by the 1960s as I moved into my twenties. Just as the title of the play Stuart Meisel and I wrote a couple of years ago says, Life Ate Our Homework. By 1959 I had a full time job. By 1961 I was married. By 1963 I was going to college at night. And by 1966 I was also writing for publications regularly. It was not unusual to be working 60 hours or more at my job and I was taking three or four courses each semester at college. My wife and I still managed a social life with a group of others who were in the arts fields. Something had to give and I guess drawing was it. After all, my writings were selling.



It is sad for me to see these three collections coming to an end. I wish I had kept at my drawing board longer, but I didn't so I can do nothing about that.



Random America will continue and I will find some other things to plant in the Garden, don't worry about that.



But for now say goodbye to Hector.

No comments: