The banner photo

The background photo was taken by Larry E. Meredith in Phoenix, Arizona 1982

Quote

The artist uses the talent he has, wishing he had more talent. The talent uses the artist it has, wishing it had more artist. ~Robert Brault

Sunday, March 30, 2008

Hector's Hectic Life #3 by Lem

The Hector cartoons often reflected something that had been in the news at the time (1958-1959) I was doing them. I was 17-18 years old. There must have been an item about homosexuality in the Catholic Church. This was a subject I knew almost nothing about. A lot of things about sex were not openly discussed in the fifties. This was before I learned my best friend was Gay.The cartoon below was a sketch done on yellow-lined notebook paper in pencil. I inked a similar sketch in ink later. You will notice a dog in some of the Hector cartoons, but not in others. I was oscillating between Hector being a man or a dog.If you look closely, you will see Larry 58 and Lem appear as blades of grass.


Another problem for the Pope.

A couple other versions of the same gag.

No comments: