The banner photo

The background photo was taken by Larry E. Meredith in Phoenix, Arizona 1982

Quote

The artist uses the talent he has, wishing he had more talent. The talent uses the artist it has, wishing it had more artist. ~Robert Brault

Sunday, May 11, 2008

When I Was a Child I had Some Crayons...












"Dad - 1965" by The Kid

When I was a child I had many interests. My third grade teacher influenced an interest in writing. Around the same time I was also encouraged toward art.




Believe it or not, this painting here depicting riders of an early passenger train being stung by hot ash from the engine was hung on display. I must have been 10 years old. I was much better at doing charcoal trees, but none of those have survived.



In my later teens I studied commercial art. I didn't do too badly at first, but by the end my grades were slipping from A's to B's. I dropped out after two years. For one, I couldn't see myself drawing pots and pans for some department store catalog and I didn't think I was good enough to compete professionally anyway. Besides, my real interest was in cartooning, not hardware illustration.
I was inspired in this direction from years of reading the "Saturday Evening Post" cartoons and Peanuts by Charles Schulz (who was revolutionizing the comic strip in the 1950s). I did my own two series in those teen years: Hector's Hectic Life (one panel cartoons) and Who's Who at the Psycho Zoo? (comic strip).


SAMPLES FROM EACH

Hector's Hectic Life














Think I'll go and see what's on the TV tonight.




















Lost dog? May I be of help?














All Aliens Must Register.








Who's Who at the Psycho Zoo?











I really didn't pursue my sketching after I became an adult. I guess I got too busy with other things. My middle child is a artist better than I. She had work displayed in three shows and I hope she stays at it.

"Number crunchers are good for your figures" by Noelle. This is supposed to be me, although I did not work for a firm called Prod, Malign and Grumble, Inc., I was sometimes an accountant. She was around twelve when she did this in MousePaint on the computer.

She painted on the walls...and we let her. She had painted two murals in her bedroom as a young teen. One was a tennis match and the other the crew from Star Trek. I wish I had taken a photo of these. She painted over them when she got older.


Noelle's Dragon




















Wedding Day - by Noelle

No comments: